HOW TO GROW AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIR FASTER AND STRONGER
Our hair is a big part of our identity, regardless of who we are. And for most having a long, healthy, and lustrous hair is a thing of pride. Why then does African American hair barely grow?
We have taken the time to compile a list of dos and don’ts of growing African American hair.
Firstly let me share with you the story of my own hair. I’ve had relaxed hair for most my life,and for most of my life I’ve been struggling with my hair, it barely grows and it’s breaks off quickly, if the wind blows it my hair goes along with it, my breaking point was when my hair started pulling out. The entire middle section of my head was bald, if I tug at my hair it came out, I was depressed and anything I did made it worse. Fast forward to earlier this year the middle part had grown back natural, the front and back were relaxed and the entire middle was natural so in April I took courage and had my big chop.
I was excited about growing it back again. Fast forward to six months later, my hair has grown 6 inches, It’s healthier than it has ever been and I’m never ever going to put relaxer in it again.
Here are the steps I followed to grow my hair to SIX inches in 6 months!
- LET IT BREATHE: A few weeks after I cut my hair, I didn’t try to style it, I didn’t get box braids, nothing I just left washed it with shampoo and conditioner every 3 days.
- USE GENTLE SHAMPOO: Be careful about the type of shampoo you put in your hair, some shampoo have horrible chemicals in them. Avoid shampoo that have Ammonia in them, like Ammonium laurly sulphate.
- WEAR PROTECTIVE STYLES:
- USE HAIR OIL: Hair oil gives different benefits to our hair my favourite is Black castor oil, I usually mix it with coconut oil.
- AVOID HEAT: If you can’t totally avoid the use of heat minimise it.
- CONDITIONERS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND: Conditioners are very good for making your hair soft and they nourish your hair.
- FINGER DETANGLE: As much as you can avoid using combs to detangle your hair, combs rip out your hair. Try as much as you can to use your fingers then comb it out.
- USE SILK/SATIN NIGHT CAP/PILLOWCASE: I know this sounds strange, It did to me at first then I realised it helped prevent friction and helps retain moisture in your hair.
- TRY PROTEIN TREATMENT: There are numerous protein hair treatments and mastbout there, my favourite is rice water it’s inexpensive and easy to make. Do you want to know how I use rice water to grow my hair?
- WEAR WIGS:
When in doubt wear wigs. Haha, wigs are a safe bet when it comes to growing out your hair, there’s little to no manipulation of your hair, and it gives your hair the chance to grow!!
All the best loves, have any doubts? Leave a question for me.